Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / express release / air waybill (AWB) / surrender message
- Packing list properly marked and corresponding to the OBL
- Authorization letter from owner of the goods to port authorities
- Duty exemption certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Commercial invoice indicating currency (commodity shipment)
- Amount of packages (commodity shipment)
- Insurance certificate (if applicable) (commodity shipment)
- Legalized certificate of origin (commodity shipment)
- Do not include flammable items inside the moving boxes.
- Items contained in the shipment must be for personal use and cannot be used for commercial purposes.
- All shipments are subject to inspection
- New items have a 5% duty
- Owner of the goods’ presence / authorization letter from owner of the goods is required
- Diplomats are free from duties and physical inspection, but not scanning
- Proof of insurance
- Commercial invoice on new vehicles
- Certificate of ownership
- Export certificate from country of origin
- Car condition report
- No objection certificate (NOC) from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Residence permit
- Owner of the goods’ contact details (telephone number, fax number, address and email) (non-citizens)
- Only vehicles less than 5 years are allowed to be imported, unless a classic / vintage, which requires prior permission before the shipment arrives in Bahrain.
- Valid insurance is required for the registration of the car.
- The owner of the goods must arrange to obtain the Central Population Registration (CPR) card through the employer’s Human Resources department; once the CPR is obtained, the owner of the goods may obtain a temporary license plate.
- Customs duties are approximately 5%.
- Vehicles should not be shipped with a full gasoline tank.
- The owner of the goods should obtain vehicle insurance directly from an insurance company.
- Left hand drive vehicles only & GCC specification.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit
- Copy of air waybill (AWB)
- Pets may only be transported as cargo; however, assistive animals may be able to travel in the aircraft cabin:
- Contact agent for specific information.
- The import permit must be obtained prior to travel from the Veterinary Quarantine Department in Bahrain.
- The veterinary health certificate must state that the animal is free from disease and is fully vaccinated.
- Import license to be obtained prior to booking pets.
- Quarantine for a month (owner of the goods must provide feeding arrangements).
- Firearms (an import permit and permission from the Ministry of the Interior and Civil Aviation Affairs of Bahrain is required).
- Videotapes (subject to inspection and hold by Ministry officials and released approximately 2-3 weeks after inspection) (non-citizens)
- CDs, VCDs, books (only large quantities)
- Personal computers (subject to inspection and hold by the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications prior to shipment arrival) (non-citizens)
- Pianos / musical instruments
- Wines, spirits, and alcohol are subject to duty at Customs discretion (diplomats)
- Medicines are subject to prescription by a doctor (in English or Arabic) (diplomats)
- Commodity shipments are subject to 5% Customs duty
- Alcoholic beverages
- Narcotics and drugs
- Pornographic materials
- Knives, daggers (ornamental, etc.)
- Wireless equipment
- Satellite, receivers, cordless telephones, walkie-talkies
- Guns, arrows, darts
- Military clothes
- Gambling games
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.