Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Original detailed inventory in English
- Invoices for new electrical and hi-fi appliances, if applicable
- Residence permit / work permit / letter of employment
- Non-sale certificate (must state that the owner of the goods will not sell personal items)
- Original detailed inventory in English, dated, valued, and signed by the owner of the goods; for any new items bought less than 6 months before import with the original invoices
- Used household goods are tax free with the exception of all electrical and hi-fi appliances.
- Most removal shipments are opened and checked by Customs.
- The duties to be paid for any shipment are generally 1.5% of the cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value for processing fee + 0.55% ECOWAS tax.
- For diplomatic shipments, the agent must receive required Customs documents prior to the shipment arrival in order to obtain and free entry (applies to household goods and vehicles).
IAM Note: ECOWAS is an acronym denoting the Heads of State and Government of the Member States of the Economic Community of West African States.
- Copy of passport
- Original registration card
- Original invoice / letter of sale (used cars)
- Original bill of lading / air waybill
- Residence / work permit / letter of employment
- Non-sale certificate
- 35% revenue tax based on the CIF value
- 18% duty based on the CIF value
- 10% sales tax (duty and CIF value)
- 1.5% CIF processing fee
- 0.05% ECOWAS
- Veterinary health certificate (authorization by the origin country is required)
- Registration by the Gambian Veterinary Department upon entry into the country is required.
- Firearms, explosives and ammunitions (authorization by the Inspector General of Police required)
- Some vegetables, including potatoes, fruit, bulbs, and seeds (authorization required)
- The following items may be imported duty free within the limits indicated:
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (500g)
- Wine (1 liter), beer (1 liter), up to D1000.00 in other goods; contact agent for details
- Unlawful drugs
- Knives and deadly weapons
- Counterfeit money and goods
- Illegal drugs
- Pornographic material
- Radio-communication equipment not approved for use at destination
- Meat, poultry, and many other animal products
- Plants, parts thereof, and plant produce including trees and shrubs
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.