Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Packing list
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / no express release / air waybill (AWB)
- Original valued inventory in French, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods
- Invoice for all electrical items less than 6 months old
- Resident permit / work permit / letter of employment
- Non-sale certificate (declaration that owner of the goods will not sell any personal effects)
- Diplomatic exemption
- A certificate for free entry must be obtained from the Customs head office.
- Household goods are duty free if in the owner of the goods’ possession at least 6 months.
- One electrical appliance per type is authorized duty free (e.g., 1 television, 1 refrigerator, 1 VCR, etc.)
- All owners of the goods must pay a government tax of 2% of the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value of the shipment (including diplomats).
- New items are subject to import duties of 57%.
- For diplomatic shipments, the agent must have all Customs documents more than 15 days prior to arrival of the shipment to obtain the certificate for free entry.
- Customs clearance will occur once the diplomatic exoneration is received.
- Copy passport
- Original registration card
- OBL / AWB
- Insurance certificate
- Change of residence certificate
- Copy of purchase invoice
- Taxes on vehicles depend on age, power etc. (approximately 57% of the cost, insurance and freight of the shipment (CIF)
- The OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued within 3 days prior to import, stating that the animal (cat or dog) has been clear of rabies or other infectious disease a minimum of 6 weeks prior to import.
- The following items may qualify for free import for persons over 15 years of age:
- Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (25), tobacco (250)
- Wine and spirits (1 bottle each)
- Eau de toilette (1/2 L) and perfume (1/4 L)
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the territorial administration)
- Alcohol (only “Fond de Cave”) is acceptable and is duty free (max 20 bottles)
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.