Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / telex release / air waybill (AWB)
- Detailed inventory
- Oman residence visa stamp (on the passport)
- Do not include alcohol in the shipment.
- Used household goods are duty-free if owned for a minimum of 6 months; Customs allows multiple entries regardless of air, sea road shipments.
- The approximate time frames for Customs clearance are as follows:
- Sea; full container loads (FCL) 5 – 7 business days
- Sea; less-than-container loads (LCL) 7 – 9 business days
- Air shipments 2 – 3 business days
- The approximate time frames for customs clearance during Ramadan are as follows:
- Sea; full container loads (FCL) 8 – 9 business days
- Sea; less than container loads (LCL) 9 – 10 business days
- Air shipments 3 – 4 working days
- All wood crates must be heat treated with clear visible ISPM marking.
- Oman has now introduced an e-service called Bayan.
- All owners of the goods need to register their names in Customs and get a unique ID that will be used by the clearance company to college DO and clear the effects.
- Destination agents can provide elaborate details.
- Original bill of lading
- Statistical report, if applicable
- Proof of Insurance
- While importing a new or used motor vehicle, motorcycle, trailer, the owner of the goods must ensure the vehicle meets local standards, be left-hand drive, and not older than 7 years.
- All vehicles are subject to a minimum 5%.
- The owner of the goods’ agent must apply for permission from Ministry of Commerce for the import of the vehicle; once obtained, the owner of the goods must to obtain insurance at least 24 hours prior to vehicle arrival in Muscat.
- These documents along with an authorization letter and a no objection certificate (NOC) from the employer must be filed with Customs.
- Once clearance is complete, Customs will issue a green form the owner of the goods will need to submit it with the Royal Oman Police for the registration of the vehicle.
- The writer’s office will not be involved with the vehicle’s registration process.
- For imports from a GCC country, vehicles are allowed duty-free entry if the vehicle is registered in the country of origin and is not older than 2 years prior to import.
- A statistical report from Customs from the country of origin must show that duty has been paid on a previous shipment.
- The original statistical report must be filed with Customs in Oman.
- Permission is not required by the Ministry of Commerce for vehicle imports from GCC countries.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Import permit from the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Department of Animal Health
- The import permit forms may be obtained from the Ministry through a local sponsor and must be submitted with a copy of the pet's rabies vaccination record and health certificate.
- Vaccination against rabies is required no less than one month and no more than six months before the travel date.
- DVDs, videos and CDs are subject to release after censorship clearance from the Ministry of Heritage and Culture; it takes approximately 3-4 weeks for the release and additional charges may apply.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Firearms and ammunitions
- Swords or spears
- Animal hides, skins, and ivory products
- Drugs (medicine or prescription drugs are allowed in reasonable quantities and are subject to inspection / analysis)
- Political or religious literature or statues that might be deemed offensive to the Omani government or the Islamic faith
- Pornographic books, magazines, and films
- Products of Israeli origin or items on the Israeli blacklist
- Nude pictures or paintings
- Walkie-talkie systems / remote or cordless telephones
- Airplanes and helicopters
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.