Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport (photo, entry stamp, & long term visa pages)
- Detailed inventory / packing list (in English)
- Copy of bill of lading (OBL) or sea waybill / air waybill (AWB)
- Alien registration card (ARC) (from Korean Immigration Office)
- Certificate of entry and exit (returning citizens and accompanying family members only)
- Application for duty exemption issued by Ministry of Foreign Affairs Korea (diplomats)
- Customs declaration form
- Power of attorney
- Passport copy should be a copy of the owner of the goods’ passport, and each of the accompanying family members.
- The ARC must be valid for at least 12 months.
- Goods must arrive at port of entry / airport of entry (POE / AOE) in Korea within 6 months of the owner of the goods’ arrival.
- Clearance should take place at a Customs bonded warehouse (except for diplomats).
- Personal effects cannot be Customs cleared prior to the owner of the goods’ arrival.
- All incoming shipments, excluding diplomatic shipments, are subject to open inspection by the Korean Customs Authority.
- However, even diplomats, due to container access restriction within Seoul’s four main gates area, must have containers de-vanned and trans-loaded to mover’s van but without inspection.
- Evidence of at least 12 months abroad must be shown in passport (returning citizens).
- Original title
- Original registration certificate
- Copy purchase receipt or invoice
- Insurance policy documents
- Detailed inventory (diplomats)
- Customs duty exemption showing frame number, chassis number, engine number, model, and type (diplomats)
- Vehicle must be listed on the inventory with full technical specifications (make, model, chassis number, plate number, etc.)
- Insurance policy should be issued in Korea prior to removing the car from the Customs bonded warehouse.
- In order to register and to drive in South Korea, the vehicle must pass the following Government tests:
- Emission gas level test
- Noise and vibration test
- Type and model approval
- Vehicles cannot be sold or transferred by a diplomat to a non-diplomatic individual for 3 years; however sale or transfer between diplomatic individuals is authorized.
- If a vehicle is sold or transferred to a non-diplomatic individual by a diplomat, duties and taxes shall be charged by Korean Customs.
- The vehicle must be identified on the detailed inventory.
- Valid health certificate
- Vaccination record (must include rabies vaccination)
- Proof of identification
- Animals will be quarantined upon arrival to South Korea; currently, there is a 10-day quarantine required.
- Animals should have vaccinations at least 30 days prior to import.
- If rabies vaccinations are not older than 30 days, pets must remain in quarantine the 10-days plus the number of days to total 30 full days since the rabies vaccination.
- The following household goods may be imported duty free by persons 19 years and older within the limits indicated:
- Alcohol (1 L)
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (250 g)
- Perfume (2 oz.)
- Personal items (gifts, new items, etc. up to $400)
- Firearms, ammunition, and explosive materials, including fireworks (permission from the Korean authorities is required)
- Narcotic and psychotropic drugs
- Food items are allowed in sea shipments only.
- If the owner of the goods is shipping food items ensure all food items are sealed and labeled.
- Duty free entry for small amounts.
- The shipment is subject to payment of 20% duty if total amount is too large for a household good shipment.
- Check with destination agent for more details.
- Plants and plant byproducts (subject to quarantine and approval by the authorities; denial of entry is possible)
- Illegal drugs
- Pornographic material
- Counterfeit goods or materials
- Subversive and treasonous materials
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.