Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Copy of passport
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Packing list
- Original import declaration (ID)
- Inventory list
- Invoice with values
- Authorization letter
- Letter of employment
- Copy of work permit
- Copy of airline ticket
- Original airline boarding pass
- Company registration copy
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs Certificate (diplomats)
- Income tax receipts issued by the Myanmar Embassy (returning citizens)
- Copy of Myanmar NRC card for each family member (returning citizens)
- Copy of airport entry stamp page (returning citizens)
- Temporary import permit (foreign expatriates)
- The owner of the goods must be present for Customs clearance.
- The owner of the goods’ name should be written on all documents and packages and must match the owner of the goods’ name exactly as it appears on the passport.
- In December, 2016 Myanmar implemented a new electronic system (MACCS) that prevents the exportation of personal effects shipment without an original import declaration (ID).
- Exceptions can only be made for small shipments containing no furniture and no teak wood.
- Temporary import permit application to be submitted to Customs department within 3 days upon arrival of the shipment to Yangon port / airport.
- Sea freight inbound shipments take 10 - 14 days, air freight takes 2 days
- It takes approximately 3 weeks from shipment arrival before less-than-container loads (LCL) are available for clearance by the Myanmar Port Authority
- Only one sea shipment and one air shipment are permitted duty free per owner of the goods.
- Customs clearance takes approximately 1 day from the Yangon port / airport for returning citizens, 7 days for owners of the goods with a 70 day visa and approximately 3 days for diplomats.
- The diplomatic franchise and diplomatic importation approval on the shipments to the Myanmar's Ministry of Foreign Affairs takes approximately 3-5 weeks to issue.
- Due to the delay the tax exemption certificate, we can customs clear the shipment both air and sea with special order formalities, which takes 7 days from the arrival of goods at Yangon port / airport.
- Duty and tax is charged on new electronic items (LCD televisions, washing machines, computers, generators, refrigerators, dryer, electric ovens, etc.)
- The letter of employment for returning citizens must include the position held and duration of employment
- Returning citizens must have lived abroad for 12 full months for duty free import.
- Returning citizens may import used household goods duty free if they are returning to a personal residence after having lived abroad.
- Only one of each type of electrical item (televisions, washing machines, refrigerators, generators, computers, etc.) is allowable.
- Returning citizens that have not lived abroad for more than 12 months are allowed to import clothes and books duty free.
- A non - citizen may import used household goods and personal effects into Myanmar duty free if having diplomatic status or working for a legally-registered foreign company or business.
- All non - citizens, with the exception of diplomats, must pay duty on consumable items.
- All goods imported duty free by a non - citizens must also be exported upon future departure from Myanmar.
- An owner of the goods with a 70 day visa can import used household and personal effects into Myanmar on the duty-free basis.
- The owner of the goods has to provide the renewal visa page on timely basis to renew the temporary import permit with Customs till the end of the owner of the goods assignment in Myanmar.
- If the owner of the goods does not have a 70 day visa fill customs duties will be applied.
- Title / registration
- Original bill of lading
- Only foreign diplomats may import used vehicles into Myanmar duty free.
- Before shipment arrival, the United Nations Embassy has to apply for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Customs clearance certificate with the bill of lading and the car’s invoice, this takes 3 - 5 weeks
- With the Ministry of Foreign Affairs custom clearance takes 3 - 5 days
- Another option is special order, which avoid port storage and demurrage, the supporting documents are supplied by the local office for necessary preparation.
- Special order takes approximately 7 days upon arrival of the container at Yangon port.
- Private individuals cannot import vehicles.
- Veterinary health certificate (not more than 7 days old)
- Vaccination record
- Most pets, including dogs, cats, and birds, can be brought into Myanmar with no quarantine period.
- Check with destination agent for specific information.
- Antiques should be declared to the Ministry of Archeology upon importation to avoid difficulties at time of export
- Video tapes and DVDs are subject to censorship by the Ministry of Information.
- A fee of approximately USD 5.00 per tape or DVD is levied by the Ministry and will be collected from the owner of the goods.
- Alcohol is allowed in personal effects shipments as long as it is a maximum of 5 bottles.
- Firearms and ammunition
- Pornographic materials
- Communications equipment (satellite dishes, receivers, fax machines, phones, switchboards, walkie-talkies, shortwave radios, etc.)
IAM Note: Any such items found in a household goods shipment will be confiscated, and the shipper will be fined.
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Movguru note: These policies can change as per customs regulations at any time without notice. Treat this document as informative guide. Movguru has published this document as guide only for information purpose on its sole discretion and holds no depiction of expressing or inferred to the precision or applicability of its content.