The USA has certain laws and regulations to be followed while receiving international shipping, from customs to restricted items, below are a few points we have put together.
Duties and Taxes levied while shipping to USA
Upon the arrival of your shipment in USA, you need to provide your social security or tax ID number to receive it. An entry form will be submitted to customs, by your shipper, which distinguishes every receiver or sender of the shipment. Customs will match the name of the sender or the receiver in their records based on the social security or tax ID number provided.
All the shipments entering the USA will go through US customs. The number of duties and customs each shipment will be subjected to based on the items worth and origin.
What cannot be shipped from UAE to the USA?
There are certain items that can and cannot be shipped into the country to avoid any trouble during customs clearance, and therefore, can’t go through customs clearance. Some of the restricted items are
- Game and hunting trophies
- Fireworks and firearms
- Illegal drugs (cocaine, heroin, etc.)
- Perishable items
- Dog and Cat fur
For a more comprehensive list, please visit the U.S Customs and Border Protection website – https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/know-before-you-go/prohibited-and-restricted-items. You must always check the rules that are being followed at present even though you are well aware of the laws. As the US laws for customs may change unannounced.
Important Documents for relocating Household materials to USA are:
- Copy of Passport
- Form CF- 3299
- Copy of visa (if non-us resident) / photocopy of permanent resident
- I-94 stamp card
- CBP form 7501 – Customs entry summary
- Form CF-6059B – Customs Declaration
- Copy of Bill of Lading (OBL)
- Detailed Inventory in English
- Importers Security Filings (ISF)
Important documents required when shipping smaller packages to USA
Custom’s invoice will be needed for your shipment when you are sending small packages to the USA. This invoice should mention the type and the value of the item(s) shipped, together with the identity of the sender, and possibly, the receivers’ too.
The invoice helps you save time and, most importantly, money by helping you avoid shipping delays and extra fees.
The Customer’s invoice should include
- Detailed Information – the item(s) in the shipment. If, for example, the package includes Bluetooth headphones, give the model name and necessary descriptions. While shipping the item, the more details you provide the lesser will be effort while sending your shipment.
- Weight, quantity, and dimensions of the item(s)
- Value of the item(s). Note that items will be tax free if they are below USD200.
- Receivers’ name and address
- The name and information of the Sender